support this research
70122-0012 - Yoshidamachi, Yokohama, 1910s

Yokohama 1910s

Artist Unknown
Publisher Ueda
Medium Postcard
Period Taisho
Location Yokohama
Image No. 70122-0012
Purchase Digital File

People pass by shops on a quiet Yoshidamachi-dori. Although quiet on this postcard, Yoshidamachi-dori was actually perfectly located and a popular street to go shopping.

Notice the drug store (薬屋) on the right. It is advertising goodies like Chujoto women’s herbal supplement tea (中将湯), bedbug extermination (南京虫退治) and industrial use chemicals (工業用薬品). Sounds like a fun store to visit.

70417-0001 - Yokohama Map 1920 (Taisho 9)
1920 (Taisho 9) tourist guide map of Yokohama: 1. Former Foreign Settlement; 2. Isezakicho-dori; 3. Yoshidamachi-dori; 4. Yokohama Station (current Sakuragicho Station).

When Commodore Perry first arrived in Japan, Yokohama-mura was a quiet village not connected to the Tokaido, which at the time was still bustling with daimyo, their samurai and other travelers. In the eyes of the Tokugawa government, this remoteness made Yokohama an ideal location to place foreigners, worried as they were about them clashing with samurai.

Within no time a road was built from Kanagawa-juku, the nearest station on the Tokaido, to Yokohama. Where the road crossed the Yoshida River, a bridge was built and quite appropriately named Yoshidabashi (Yoshida Bridge).

Yoshidabashi was guarded by a checkpoint, Kanmon in Japanese. The area guarded by the Kanmon, and therefore “inside” the Kanmon, was called Kannai, the area “outside”, Kangai. Foreigners moved into Kannai and Japanese lived mainly in Kangai.

120410-0006 -Soldiers guard an entrance-gate at Yokohama, 1868
Soldiers guard a Kanmon gate at Yokohama, probably at Yoshidabashi. Published in The Illustrated London News of August 1, 1868 (Keio 4).
1868 (Keio 4) map of Yokohama
1868 (Keio 4) map of Yokohama: 1. Yoshidabashi bridge; 2. Kanmon gate; 3. Yoshidamachi.
1868 (Keio 4) map of Yokohama
1868 (Keio 4) map of Yokohama: 1. Yoshidabashi bridge; 2. Kanmon gate; 3. Yoshidamachi. Detail of above map.

In 1860, the Japanese authorities built canals to completely surround Kannai by water, uncomfortably reminding many of the foreigners there of the situation in Nagasaki‘s Dejima. For some two centuries, the Dutch traders who lived on that tiny island in the bay of Nagasaki had not been allowed to leave its confines.

However, this resemblance was only superficial. With a passport, foreigners could actually venture a certain distance beyond Kannai. This turned Yoshidabashi into the main crossing point between Kannai and Kangai.

Over the years, restrictions were eased and streets nearby Yoshidabashi became attractive locations for shops, theaters, restaurants and other businesses. These in their turn attracted bustling crowds. Especially popular were Isezakicho-dori, known among foreigners as Theater Street, and Yoshidamachi-dori.

Like Isezakicho, Yoshidamachi was repeatedly destroyed by disasters and war and always rebuilt. The street exists to this day, but it has lost its disorderly charm and ambiance as well as its enthralling drug store.

80316-6441 - Yoshidamachi, Yokohama, 2008
Yokohama's Yoshidamachi in 2008 (Heisei 20).

see current map


Leave a Comment

Reference for Citations

Duits, Kjeld (). Yokohama 1910s: Yoshidamachi-dori, OLD PHOTOS of JAPAN. Retrieved on March 22, 2023 (GMT) from

I have a small favor to ask

Old Photos of Japan aims to be your personal museum for Japan's visual heritage to increase our understanding of Japanese culture and society.

Finding, acquiring, scanning, restoring, researching and conserving these vintage images, and making the imagery and research freely available online, takes serious time, money and effort.

I do this without charging for access, selling user data, or running ads.

Your support helps to make this possible, and ensures that this important visual heritage of Japan will not be lost and forgotten.

If you can, please consider supporting Old Photos of Japan with a regular amount each month. Or become a volunteer.

Thank you,
Kjeld Duits

support this research

Explore More


Osaka 1910s
Koraibashi Bridge

Osaka’s Koraibashi bridge (高麗橋) was first built during the time of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1536-1598). One of only 12 government controlled bridges in Osaka, it crossed the Higashi-Yokoborigawa canal, the outermost moat of Toyotomi’s massive castle, which was completed in 1598.


Osaka 1930s
Nakanoshima Park

Opened in 1891 (Meiji 24), Nakanoshima Park was Osaka’s very first public park. By the end of the 19th century, the area nearby became the focus of Osaka’s modernization.


Osaka 1920s
Shinsaibashi Bridge

The Shinsaibashi Bridge in Osaka’s Minami district sometime during the 1920s. The Bridge was named after one of the four merchants that dug the canal.

Add Comment

There are currently no comments on this article.